Sunday, July 25, 2010

So it begins

I just officially started my Ironman florida build. It is something like 15 weeks long and most likely will be quite hard if my first ride was any indicator.

70 miles with 3k of climbing... the 3k was set up like this. 1 k over 8 miles (fine) and then 2k over 4 miles (cruel). The 2k over 4 miles nearly had me walking. I was spitting up strings of drool all over my aerobars and barely turning the pedals. Imagine a teething baby.

The reason for this lack of composure was I was riding my tt bike with a 52-42 on the front and a 11-23 on the back. For those of you who don't get that gear ratio kind of lingo, it is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. The gun fight is the mtn. The knife is my ill equipped steed. I was unprepared and paid dearly.

I got home and mapped the ride and ended up riding 20.7 mph avg. I was over the moon as the effort was comfortable and the conditions were not speedy ie lots of wind and enough climbing to slow way down. My back half riding is getting stronger. I am going to key on that for this build. I need to be very strong where everyone is weak... miles 70-112 of the bike and miles 13-26 of the run. And so it begins.


No comments: