Saturday, May 8, 2010

Malibu Creek Xterra Trail Run

The gun went off and the boys blitzed to the front. About 10 and then me. I thought, "Shit this pace is hot," as they gapped me straight away. I hate running races because everyone goes out like the race is a mile long. Anyway, they usually come back.
The course looks like this: Flat first mile, climb 1500 ft in the second which is a solid pitch, go back down the third, flat to the finish for a total of 4 miles.
Second mile went straight up and the beers I had the night before had staled my legs. Several of the guys came back to me slowly. By 1.75 miles I was sitting in 4th with 5 guys trailing close and 3rd place about 40 ft ahead. I closed as much as I could, as we crested the peak and started down.
I blasted down recklessly. I had plotted this before the race and had to seize my chance to create some space. It worked nearly at the cost of my ankles and I put about 20 seconds on the chasers. It is effing fun to plow down trails. I drag stripped it.
The last mile was flat but my legs were crushed from the up and running the down like I had stole something. I looked back and had about 10 seconds to 4th place and 15 to a group of 5. I couldn't turn it over but I was desperate to get on the podium.
The mind started revolting and trying to talk me into easing up on the gas. I try not to negotiate with terrorists but sometimes they are quite compelling. I decided today was not the day and kept rolling. 150m to the end and I knew I was ok. Barely. 4th was 6 seconds back. 5-9th were 15 seconds back.

Overall: 3rd is solid. Felt ok considering it was the tail end of a 3 wk build. I am not fast right now but I am fit. Tomorrow is a day to try to juice a bit of speed out of the slow lemon that is my body.

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

NEVER negotiate with terrorists! and who are you calling a lemon? Proud of you, boy. I've got a picture of two of the things I love most in the world at my desk as I type: you and a kayak on a sugar sand beach, courtesy of your smarter half. Tell her I said thanks for melting my heart. I want that beach.

walter said...

Nice! Now I know what to do, thank you! And as this information is educational so this site has been added to my RSS feed for later browsing. To know more about
marathon training visit: marathontrainingschedule.net
[ running workouts ]
[ running schedule ]
[ running training program ]