Saturday, September 5, 2009

Really Weird

So today I had another incredibly bizarre run... really, this place is the most interesting place imaginable to exercise... I'm not sure if that is good, but it is definitely not boring.

here's the breakdown...

The idea was to run to the pool, do a continuous swim, then run home...

Sounds simple... nothing weird.

It started brilliantly and I cruised fairly quickly to the pool, said high to the guys on the triathlon team and felt proud to be an American for the first time in my life...

I walked into the pool and a Haitian stopped me. He said, do you have permission for the pool. I explained I was training with the triathlon team... just then a guys popped out from around the corner and yelled HE'S AMERICAN... let him in! I walked in a popped in the pool without a second thought. I had just been talking about how I felt no particular attachment to the US. I take that back. My new name is John Paul "Old Glory" Severin. My favorite food is American flag cake and I only drive Ford Trucks while listening to Toby Keith. I am going to get a tattoo of an eagle tearing through an American Flag on my chest.

The weird part starts now... after a great really smooth swim, I hopped out of the pool and started jogging home. I was running by a building being demolished and I felt something fluttery around my head. Then it hit me smack in the face... I looked around thinking it was a bird. No. It was a bat. In broad daylight. There were two bats swirling around feet from my head. A haitian fruit vendor screamed VAMANOS and we both took off running down the street away from the bats. We escaped... looked at each other with a universal language look of "can you believe this just effing happened" then laughed and I continued running.

I finished the run, got home and almost forgot this happened. The worst part is this stuff is beginning to not phase me.


Have a happy winds day.

2 comments:

Teleri_Moses said...

Man, and to think nothing even remotely incredible like that ever happened to Forest Gump (and/or) Tom Hanks when (he/they) ran.

Pharmie said...

Um, you didn't get bitten, did you? Do you need a rabies vaccine?