Thursday, March 3, 2011

Magestic Hogs


One of my fondest memories is seeing potbelly pig racing at the state fair with my grandparents and sister. These races are so baller it is unreal. I would watch them every other day if time permitted. Pigs are hyper competitive beasts who don't take shit from anyone except each other. Pot belly pigs are the most deadly fast pig in all of pigdom. I've always admired them and their 'from the gun' mentality in racing. Even if they get lost on a circle track, they are heroes in my book. I'll get back to this later.
Into T1

I'm starting to come around from the early easy week feeling. The first part of every 'down' week feels like I am shutting down completely. My body is really warm and my legs feel like ham. I generally feel like I have no business exercising. It takes between 3-5 days to come out of that and then the snap returns to the legs and the heart and lungs almost feel excited to be used. My heart actually sometimes skips a beat during these couple days...super weird.

My legs feel lethal right now. I swam today and thought I needed a flop day as opposed to Jill's race pace workout. I got in the water and felt balanced and smooth. My pull felt strong and my legs actually felt good kicking (1st time in 2 years that I have actually kicked while swimming). The mini set was 2x100 on 1:30. I was told to take it out fairly strong. Goal was 1:10-1:12. I hit 1:09 and then 1:07 and felt cruisey. Then 6x100 on 1:30 where I was supposed to settle into 1:15 pace. I hit 1:09 for each of these easily. CRAZY. Again, 2 years since I could swim like this.

Back to that earlier pig nonsense, I just saw this quote and it was right up my alley.
You can't make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Lean Bacon (pig #2) slaying them around the first turn

I think I am turning myself into one lethal piggy.

RACE THIS WEEKEND! Inch, Kling, Iris, and Mariah coming for their spring break too!

Hopefully sweet porcine victory will be mine

1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

I have to be careful not to read your posts at work, because my laughter gives it away that I'm not on the U of M website like I should be